Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Dec 1, 2014. Why practice so much?

Today I logged in 3 hours of practice on my horn (2 hours of long tones, scales, arpeggios and an hour of just playing songs) and did something I never do these days which is practice an hour and a half on guitar, mostly technical stuff. Felt great!

I had a gig last night with Gospel of Mars and was really feeling the rust on my guitar. Not to mention, the old archtop needs new frets! I don't like to not be able to get my ideas across well. It's frustrating. Translating that into the positive: I really want to communicate with the audience to the best of my ability. The audience ate it up, great crowd, really great vibe, and I felt good about the show. Listening back I played well, I just know I can do much better.

A friend a couple years ago was baffled as to why I practice so much. So she asked me: "what are you practicing so much for?" I didn't like being asked that question, it kinda assaulted my ego a bit, or at least that's what my ego told me. I had a girlfriend who asked me that as well which translated into: "why do you spend so much time away from us?" Maybe that was her motive, maybe that is my projection.....

Really, this is a great question. Why did I get so defensive? Because I didn't have a clear answer that suited me yet. I was hiding the fact that I wasn't confident. I was still formulating answers to satisfy the person asking and not being honest with myself or that person. But most of all, if I can answer the question of "why" then I am more likely to follow through. Why is where motive lies.

Why practice so much? Because I want to be the best I can possibly be. As a musician solving a problem in the practice room makes life easier in general. It's my way of transcending all that noise in life. It's my meditation. And most importantly, I feel the need to offer the audience way more than I do right in this moment. The more easily I can communicate an melody to people, the more light I bring into this world. I'm hungry for a better existence. I want my body and mind to be in tune with source so connection is effortless. When I practice it's my prayer, my connection to whats infinitely bigger than I am. I practice to tune in to that channel so I can bring the best music I can into this world. I have a long way to go before I can say that I've achieved what I want to achieve, every step of the journey gets me closer to the greater mystery. I'm much better than I was 6 months ago and, well, my happiness is directly connected to progress. No progress, no happiness. That simple.

So why do you practice? Why do you want to be married? Why do you want to work this job or that? Why do you want to make money? Why do you work so hard to stifle your natural creative flow? Why do you overspend, overeat, drink too much? Why do you want to be the best? Answer why and you'll be halfway there to a better scene.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment