Thursday, December 18, 2014

12/18/14, stuff on the ol' list gettin done!

Today I had a nice break from working so I managed to get some things rolling. Had a Gardens listening session and Tarot reading...sometimes ja just need to play cards, do something else, take a break. Feeling the need to relax.

Here's my formidable but dwindling list:

1... Fix tail light in my car and fix my now broken glove box (thanks stupid car thief!)
#2... Get new back tires for my car!
#3... Finish building my overdrive pedal!
#4... Build 45 triode amp (75% complete!)
#5... Fix leaky shower thing.
#6... Set up stereo when I finish building my amp and enjoy the heck out of it!
#7... Sell more stuff on Ebay, beat my December goal for sales there!
#8... Get 2 rolls of film developed, stuff I shot over the last 3 years.
#9.. Finish 2 videos to promote guitar and bass playing for hiring me as a session player or teacher.
#10.. Make new nut for my electric sitar, set it up better and CLEAN IT!
#11..Clean top on my classical guitar. Get rid of scuzzy looking tape residue! (fixed crack on this and Epiphone today, will finish clean up tomorrow, in process.)
#12.. Decide what to do with 2 extra mouthpieces. Sell as is or get them re-faced then sell them for more $$$. (Sent out for re-face to my man in Portland)

So, oh yeah, got most of this baby done. Should be making music by tomorrow night:

Excited about this lil' project. It's been a while since I've built a hi-fi amp. It runs on ancient 45 triodes from the 1930's (tubes pictured are from the 20's!) and will deliver my speakers a whopping 2 watts of power. Well, I do live in New York. I can only use about 1/2 a watt before the neighbors get irked. Looking forward to hearing the new Gospel of Mars record on this amongst other things.

Fun thing about this project is a lot of the parts are leftovers from when I was obsessive about this stuff. I simply forgot I had them. What do I like about tube hi fi besides the sound? It's kinda my recycling contribution to the world, using up stuff that was built long, long ago. When I was a tech I saved a lotta amps from the landfill. And I like old tubes. New ones aren't that good and manufacturing tubes is wretched on the environment. I'd rather support the ladies and gentleman at RCA in the 1930's than those making the poor excuse for tubes today.

Good to not play the horn today. Need to digest yesterday.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment