Thursday, December 4, 2014

12/5/14....writing sesh. Shift happens.

Tonight Beth and I worked on some new material for Gardens. Got 3 new starts. I love that. Sit down together and bounce ideas off one another. Feels so rich to work with her. It's a challenge to schedule writing sessions but when we do get together, it's so easy. Today, one step closer to the promised land.

We were talking and I got to notice a shift in this life. For the first time in my life I'm totally excited about the music I'm making and the projects I'm involved in. I've spent my whole life with one foot out the door looking for that thing that will give me a bunch of money or approval. I always felt gross about that but had zero control over that feeling. That's gone. I don't have all that I want but I do have all that I need and this is just where I'm at on this journey.

I can see a life of following through on the horizon. Follow through on the 2 projects I have to the end. That's amazing. I actually want to make records. So far audience reactions have been really favorable. I want to give and give and give more.

It's been a topic of conversation this week, this quote I got from Tony Robbins has been on my mind.
"If you want to be a success you need to stop being such a consumer." I need to keep that in the front of my materialistic mind. John Fogerty found a need to make a full length album after Suzie Q became a hit. He figured his only criteria need be this : the songs need to be simple and clear enough that the people listening can sing along to them in their cars. He rented a tiny apartment and had a guitar, a mattress and a few other possessions. He didn't have a rack of pedals, a guitar collection, an Ebay, an internet forum about tubes and capacitors and how to play like Van Halen. He just had some ideas. He needed to write that album. He wrote 3 in that apartment. They all went platinum. We live in an infinitely more materialistic and distracting world now. Not good for getting your work done.

Stay committed and keep it simple.




And the list of stuff to do. I picked up the washers for my amp, ordered a socket and a friend is sending me some of those cheap beer bottle strap locks. Ask and ye shall receive!

Thank you for reading! J

No comments:

Post a Comment