Thursday, December 18, 2014

Conn Pan American saxes, best horn for cheap!

Just got this, yeah it's a project but I'm willing to learn a thing or 2 about fixing my own horns. It's a Conn Pan American alto I bought for $60. It's a rare one, a 64M with the fancy engraving and strange micro tuner on the neck. It's also silver plated with that gold plated inner bell. Depression era horn, amazing how classy a 'second line' or 'intermediate' instrument was when the country was broke!




I used to have one years ago, I had that and the current 20's Buescher Truetone alto I still have. Those are great altos. As good as anything. I just liked that Pan Am Better. I sold it cause a fellow who wanted to buy a mouthpiece from me fell in love with it and made me a good offer.

Basically it's just a Conn 6M like Charlie Parker played on and countless other players of the day. It just has in my opinion, friendlier key work. These feel more modern to me. I love a god 6m but dig these even more and yes, they are every bit as good. And they have that clear, punchy powerful sound I really love in an alto. The one I had had guts. I need that. My Buescher is more like a good sounding Selmer: lush and sweet, absolutely beautiful alto. (I love Selmer altos). So in a perfect world I'd keep both but I don't really play alto so the Buescher may need to find a new home when this is done. It's served me well. Been on lots of recordings with me.

So if you want a good alto on the cheap, give one of these a go! Better sound than a student horn today by far, more depth, character, color. You'll stand out when you need to.

Or, buy my Buescher! It's in great shape and I'll sell it cheapisch....


I'll let you know how this project goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment