Friday, December 19, 2014

12/19/14...taught a class and finished building an amp.

Fun day. Played a little bit of guitar, finished cleaning up my old Silvertone, checked off the list then taught a class at NEST. Really fun. It's great working with groups, even kids who eat too much candy can be fun. It's the progress that makes it all worth it. It's a challenge with 5 kids. Each one needs a bit different style of encouragement. This is my 2nd time there so I'm getting to know them a bit better. I like South Park so I got their respect now!

So I finished one big project on my list, the ol' hi fi:



How does it sound? It's my best work so far. I'll just say there is nothing like hearing music through a very simple machine. I'm shocked at how much clear bass there is on my NS-10 speakers, which have a reputation for having no bass. Every studio has them, every studio hates them. Ok, I did mod mine but still, this thing in the bomb. I never use EQ. Don't need it, especially on a little guy like this. Pure sound.

Why go through the trouble to build this? I sold my entire record collection years ago and got rid of my amps as well. I needed to. I wanted to be lighter. I got lighter. But I am a musician too. Projects like this are inspiring. I need some inspiration right now.

See, a simple amp like this, I can hear things. I'm hearing instruments I never knew were there. Jimi Hendrix was a really good singer and he used very little distortion! He sounds so clear! Depeche Mode sounds warm. I can hear people walking around the studio on some tracks! Music is just more alive through a simple amp like this! The emotion of the music comes right through. I wish everyone could experience something this good!

I'll spare the technical yadda yadda, or maybe put that on my neglected tube amp whatever page. Here I'll just say I'm way pleased with the results, pleased with the mixes I've been making on my headphones these last couple years, pleased with my own concept of sound.

It's giving me inspiration to get this Gospel of Mars record made. I know what I want it to sound like. Gonna have to go analog, and I want the depth of these old jazz recordings. Critical that it's that good sounding!

Jeez. I've been listening to MP3s all night. Vinyl may kill me!






So the list of stuff in the way:

1... Fix tail light in my car and fix my now broken glove box (thanks stupid car thief!)
#2... Get new back tires for my car!
#3... Finish building my overdrive pedal!
#4... Build 45 triode amp (75% complete!) DONE!
#5... Fix leaky shower thing.
#6... Set up stereo when I finish building my amp and enjoy the heck out of it!
#7... Sell more stuff on Ebay, beat my December goal for sales there!
#8... Get 2 rolls of film developed, stuff I shot over the last 3 years.
#9.. Finish 2 videos to promote guitar and bass playing for hiring me as a session player or teacher.
#10.. Make new nut for my electric sitar, set it up better and CLEAN IT!
#11..Clean top on my classical guitar. Get rid of scuzzy looking tape residue! (fixed crack on this and Epiphone today, will finish clean up tomorrow, in process.) DONE!
#12.. Decide what to do with 2 extra mouthpieces. Sell as is or get them re-faced then sell them for more $$$. (Sent out for re-face to my man in Portland) DONE!


Down to 9! 

J

No comments:

Post a Comment