Thursday, December 18, 2014

12/17/14, Gospel Of Mars lab work. Oh perfectionism! Be gone!!!

Had a good session in the lab last night. Exhausted from working so much but nonetheless got some new ideas committed to recording. Some melody is starting to come together slowly. My altissimo notes are finally starting to become consistent enough where I don't lose them and make the horn sound like a sick duck! When I started working on them years ago my teacher/friend told me to just be patient, they may take years. He was right! I'm slow too and that's okay.

Really digging the Buffet mouthpiece still too. Realized that if I'm lazy and into my bad habits, I sound awful on this piece. It forces me to open up right away then I get a terrific sound, or at least one I really like. Keeps me going for the best rather than the known.

Also reached out to an engineer friend to help with the record. That's a step! Need to record and let it go.

I only handed out demos for the first time in 2010. A real exercise in letting go of my ideal results. Before I would treat it like "this must only be heard by someone who thinks it is genius!" So the bit of perfectionism kept me from living my life. Still a bit of a struggle but I understand now, it doesn't matter. What an individual thinks of the music I'm involved in is actually none of my business. Thank God for that! No more hiding please.

Also, landed a Gardens gig at The Cake Shop on December 30th. Happy about that. Writing all this reminds me, it was a productive day!

Oh, and my students all taught me a thing or 2 as well. They are making me a better teacher. Need some help with your guitar or bass? Gimme a shout! I'll help you get to the next place you want to be!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment