Monday, December 8, 2014

12/8/13, Gospel Of Mars at the Tea Lounge and thoughts on zombie culture

Greetings Earthlings....Answer me this. What the @&*$ are you doing?

That's the question that came to mind tonight on this gig. Okay, it wasn't a gig I liked at all. We all have those nights. You know the vibe. You are pouring your heart out, giving away loads of energy and..... so little is coming back.

I learned a few things.

For starters, when asked to do a gig ask a few questions. See, we have played so little this fall I just wanted to get us in front of people.

Questions like, does this pay anything at all? How does the economics of the venue work? Do they have a back line? (they have a drum set and a guitar amp). What is the other act all about and will this truly make a compelling evening of music to the audience? And perhaps most importantly, does the venue actually care about music or like music at all?

Yes, the vibe was grim. Depressing atmosphere. Really started to make me think about the world and handed me a large dose of challenge to 'accept the things I cannot change'. I've been asked if I could move somehwhere else, where would I move to?

New York of course, in the 1940's, 50's or 60's. Or maybe London or Paris, in the 1960's. Oh the past fantasy. The ultimate escape. The imaginary idealist machine, or I mean, time machine.

The Zombie myth is about mass mediocrity and mindless consumerism. 4 out of 5 folks in the place were on their laptops. One fellow was mixing his Garage Band session not more that 15 feet away. Really? You are in a venue with live music and you're going to mix your thing here? Go home!

My escape? To a time before cellphones and the Internet. Ironic right? I'm posting this jive right here on the internet and here I am expressing my disgust for what we have become. Well, truth be known, if I were sitting in a venue and someone got up and played and I wasn't into it, I'd leave. Nothing wrong with that. I do it all the time. Leaving is honest and respectful. But checking your email in such a situation? Come on.

So Jef, just play somewhere else where you are loved....

Ok. Yes, of course. This was a mistake.

Tea Lounge. College type of place. Not one person working there treated us with any warmth. In fact the vibe was complete indifference. I don't expect much, but a nice vibe goes a long way. It's clear they actually don't really want music there, they made it clear. I'm not sure the staff wants customers there. I felt like we were a pain in there ass. I don't get it. You are in customer service in a crap economy. You have a job. Do it well. Don't just do the least possible to get a tip. Blow me away. And please, if you are going to make a breakfast burrito, heat it up. Disgusting food is bad for business.

A zombie comes back from the dead and doesn't appreciate anything. You'd think they would be like "cool! I'm alive again! Let me get it right this time! I'll meet a nice lady or guy, do out on some dates, maybe get a new apartment..." But no. They come back and eat brains of those who work hard to have a brain that doesn't work too hard. We are alive. What is happening? Where is passion? Where is outrage? Where is love? Where is life?

Ack. Okay. Got the poison out of my system (but not the nasty breakfast burrito yet!). I feel better now. I'll do my best to not let this happen again. Bob pointed out if you haven't heard of a venue before you play there, chances are there is a reason for that. Do some homework. Treat yourself and your music with respect and take good care of you and your music.

And listening back we played well. It wasn't all bad. Even my 'really glad to be here' wasn't disingenuous. It's an opportunity to share and we did just that. Sounds like we reached a few people. That makes me happy.

Lesson learned. Tomorrow is a new day!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment