Sunday, March 31, 2013

Creative space

I'm at this crossroads in my life again. I have a practice space, it's really cheap and I use it in the mornings. The room itself is beautiful, I realize I'm really lucky to have it.

Yet, it's still hard to really dig it. It's a shared space and it's filthy, smell of stale cigarettes, broken equipment everywhere, my amp got damaged last week. There's no use in trying to clean, it'll be a pile again in a week.

I just moved to a new apartment. It's clean, smells nice and I can't wait to get to work setting up my living space. I feel this creative life really taking off just being in my new room.

What is it about so many of us musicians that keeps us in such voluntary squalor? I'm in recovery on the subject, my life was cluttered with wires and busted amps for years. I understand that it need not be this way too. We don't need to surround ourselves with ugliness.

It's in my vision to rehearse in the sunshine. I've been rehearsing in basements, sometimes cold and damp, unhealthy and always ugly, for most of my life, like music is something to be ashamed of so it needs to be literally underground with the dead. Distress is boring. Distress is soooooo 1983.

Yet the practice space I'm in has nice light, windows etc. Fill it with darkness? Odd yet so common amongst us.

Self respect? Self love? I no longer get it. We can do much better.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment