Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Gospel Of Mars live on the Rockaways!

Last summer we had the good fortune to play a beach party at an outdoor spot on the Rockaways. On the lineup was Kyp Malone and his group Rain Machine, Ka and North America.

It was our second gig as Gospel Of Mars, just a duo with myself on sax and Aaron Moore on drums. And we weren't called Gospel Of Mars yet, just, um, Jef Brown at that point!

We arrived and I can only speak for myself, I was scared to death. There is always that moment where you say, 'shit, this is not our audience'. Panic attack. We are on first. The sun is shining and my mind starts judging the audience and becoming vicious. I am scared. These folks will want to kill us for what we are about to do.

Why do i play with Aaron? He's a positive force. He says to me "we play our instruments well so let's just do whet we got to do!" That helped me get back to reality, quick. Music isn't about me, it's about doing service and being honest doing that service.

So we just played, wasn't our best performance, we were rather timid but that's what the moment dictated. The end of the show, well a lot of folks really enjoyed it.

We may need to accept that our music can reach more people than we think it can.

A baby kept smiling at us. When a child understands the music, you are doing the right thing:

(Photos: Frankie Rose)

(Poster by Kyp Malone)

Be well, JB

No comments:

Post a Comment