Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Magnatone Varsity


You live in NYC? Nothing beats a little 4 watt tube amp for recording in your apartment. This lil' feller is the heart of my amplified sound. I put a line level off the speaker to be able to drive larger amps.

Here's a little sound sample, it's ll over the lead guitar track and the higher rhythm tracks:https://soundcloud.com/jef-brown/lonely-lonely

It's basically really similar to an early Champ, one 6SJ7 pentode tube in the preamp, one 6V6 power tube and one 5Y3 rectifier. Single 8" Jensen speaker. The sound is on the darker side of the spectrum, which I like. I use this amp on small room gigs as well.

I did a gig once with a fantastic keyboard player who is known for throwing guitar players off the bandstand. They compete with her volume and register. She was amazed that I didn't do that, step on anyones toes for that matter. Part of that is this amp, the rest is just musical maturity. Listen! Listen! Listen!

Guitar players are notorious for playing too loud. I've been there, done that and don't care to be that guy any more. I like my ears! I like my audience! I like playing with other people! Your tone is the first impression anyone gets about you. I know an amp starts to sound best when you turn it up. That's why I like this amp so much, I get my sound and don't kill anyone in a small room. If I need to go big I plug it into whatever house amp the club provides.

In NYC you don't want a big amp, it's easier to roll with something fun and small. I like it here.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment