Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bob Jones and his Golden Tones, 3/16/13 Cameo Gallery

  Saturday Bob introduced his new project to the world, Bob Jones and his Golden Tones at the Cameo Gallery in Brooklyn. We mostly play covers, Kinks, Delphonics, Shadows, really whatever we feel like covering and having a good time with. I've played in cover bands before but none this enjoyable. Well, okay playing with the Miss U's, a Rolling Stones Cover band in Portland was tops especially cause if we played too well we weren't doing it right.

In this group I'm doing double duty, sax and guitar. It's fun shifting gears like that. What I like the most about this project is the material and how open Bob is to trying new things out. We'll be playing in different venues, this was a rock club so loud is ok, we've got some restaurant gigs coming up where we'll need to be mellow, I like that. And there's even rumblings about playing a wedding soon. I've had the good fortune to play weddings with my own groups and look forward to doing this.

Playing covers is a challenge. Those who know me know I ain't the smoothest cat in town. This is a lounge act so smooth is crucial to sounding good. I played well this night partly cause I decided at points to be Maxwell Davis on some songs or Grover Washington Jr on our Delphonics cover. When I'm in doubt on stage i do what I do when I'm playing baseball which I'm pretty lousy at. If I'm Jef Brown at bat I won't hit anything but if I pretend to be Jackie Robinson, I'll hit a home run. I've done this before. It's that act as if thing.

Looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment