Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I just need that one last piece of gear......

"I just need that one last piece of gear and then I will finish this album!"

No, you don't need that one last piece of gear to finish the album, you just need to finish the album. It's just that fear of failure fear of success song and dance, nothing more. It's scary releasing work, and really if it weren't then the work isn't good. We're afraid of criticism, afraid of responsibility if we get asked to really do something.

I've seen people do this for 20 years. That album was done 19 years ago! No joke. Get it done, get it out. We have no control over the results anyway, someone will think your work is horrible, another will think it's genius. We can't please everyone and nor should we try to please everybody. That's a great way to lead a dis-honest life.

So, leave that piece of gear to someone else, and get your music out in the world.

JB

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jef... I just had this conversation last night with my girlfriend about the endless hours of "not good enough" music I have sitting around waiting for that one more thing... but really waiting for self-esteem. Its amazing how synchronicity happens for things that are important. Been loving the stuff you have been posting to Soundcloud btw. JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yeah, the 'not good enough'. I hear this all the time in my head and other places. I realized I don't even need self esteem anymore, just need to keep showing up and playing despite all that fear/noise.

    ReplyDelete