Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Please allow me to introduce myself...

  Hi there, my name is Jef Brown. I'm a musician living in Brooklyn, New York. I've been making music for most of my life and this blog is about my experience as a musician.

  I'm currently working with 3 bands.

 Gospel of Mars with drummer Aaron Moore and bassist Bob Jones. This is my main project, the one I dedicate the most energy to. It's about pure creative expression doing our best to be the best players and writers we can. I mostly play tenor and soprano sax with this group, occasionally playing guitar as well. We are a new group and are expanding, looking for more contributors. I feel excited about this group every day and know I am blessed to work with such talent. We are an odd group, some would call us jazz but most jazz folks would think that's blasphemy. I like that. We have no category, yet....

  Divining Rod with my man Miyuki Furtado on guitar, drums and vocals. I play guitar with this group. Classic psychedelic sound, noisy and fun. I love working with Miyuki cause he builds a structure through song, then sometimes abandons that on the bandstand and we just take off. I love playing with people that take chances, this is why we've been friends for 23 years now.

  Bob Jones and his Golden Tones. This is a cover band led by.... you guessed it, Bob Jones of Gospel of Mars. He plays guitar and I play mostly horn and some guitar. Gotta say, the songs may be simple but playing smooth and lounge style is really challenging! I'm blessed to have Bob as a friend and collaborator. We go back to our days in the Evolutionary Jass Band and it's always fun on this journey. We just started playing out and I never thought I would enjoy being in a cover band but this is a blast!

My history as a musician goes back a long time. I was a long time member of th group Jackie O Motherfucker and helped lead the Evolutionary Jass band. I recored, produced and wrote for both bands.

I've also been on countless records that I honestly didn't keep track of but here are some of note:

David Sitek, Maximum Balloon (Saxophone)
Lykkie Li, I follow Rivers remix by David Sitek (Saxophone)
Kyp Malone (saxophone)
Jackie O Motherfucker:
Flat Fixed (guitar)
Fig 5. (guitar, sax, clarinet, producer, engineer, writer)
Liberation (guitar, sax, clarinet, producer, engineer, writer)
Wow (guitar, sax)
Majic Fire music (guitar, sax, clarinet, writer)
Evolutionary Jass Band:
What's Lost (sax, engineer, writer, producer, guitar)
Pure Light (sax, engineer, writer, producer)

There will be more as I remember them!

The purpose of this blog is to write about music, my experience with it, keep my projects public, you know, just to share about this journey. What works, what doesn't, the business side, spiritual side, some stuff about equipment for the gearheads out there. And really it's to keep a focus on being a working paid musician in this wonderful world, it's the greatest life I could have chosen and I enjoy it!

I'll be sharing links to music I'm working on, have released and music I just plain like and wish to share. Perhaps you will want to share to!

(Photo by Dazjal Zoll)

More soon!!! Jef Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment