Monday, January 12, 2015

Jazz, free improv and the illusion of scarcity.

  I've had this ongoing dialogue about an individual who I really admire that has been quite successful as an artist. He really inspires me even if I'm not all that crazy about his music. I don't actually need to love someones music to be inspired by their energy, I'd rather have real friends than just fans myself.

  But what comes up again and again is this "Why him? Why does he get in the paper all the time? Why does he get to tour Europe all the time? Why does he have a record? Compared to (fill in the blank) nasty comment nasty comment!"

  Hey crew. If you play jazz that isn't smooth, free improv or whatever you wish to call your very intelligent form of music, your audience is probably pretty small. When that person tours Europe or puts out a record it is only because he or she wants to tour Europe, be in the press and he or she believes in themselves enough to put themselves out there. They may actually even feel they deserve that tour, that contract, that adoration. Maybe that person has a positive vibe.

  This person in particular is one of the biggest free improv cheerleaders I've ever met. Kind, well spoken, sensitive.

  When a peer does that tour, makes that record, he or she just hit a home run FOR OUR TEAM! Why wouldn't we cheer for them? Why wouldn't we Reverend Ike that success screaming "THAT'S FOR ME!!!" Instead it's as if that persons success will limit our own. There isn't enough 'success' to go around. If this is your musical path you are in the minority. It's crucial that we support one another, not give in to the powers that be and behave like petty, jealous, unintelligent beings.

  We don't need to always like each others creation. God knows, I walk out of more shows than most and for me that is my way of showing support. If I'm not turned on I won't stand and suffer, I won't lie to you, I'll be honest and go elsewhere but....I certainly will do my best to not tear you down. I'll be happy to walk away from discussions of your work compared to Trane or someone else especially if it's in a dis tone. Life is too short and too precious to engage in that noise. Just do your work and do your best. There is no limit to success. Get that out of the head.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment