Thursday, January 1, 2015

12/31/14: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Best Ever! Jammed with Reverend Vince at Union Pool

Today was one of those biblical "ask and ye shall receive" days. I had a dream the other day where I was in a bodega that looked a bit more like a diner. There were 2 older black women behind the counter dressed in typical 40's waitress outfits and I thought to myself: "Maybe I'll take up smoking". So I asked the women "have you got a pack of Lucky Strikes?" They started laughing and said "Lucky Strikes? We haven't seen them since World War 2!" I kinda waited around and one of them reached on a shelf and I could see there was a couple of white boxes with that red bullseye on them: packs of Lucky Strikes! One of the women said "I'll be....haven't seen these for a long time." I asked how much and they replied "Nine dollars and twelve cents." I said "that's not a bad price for today but I changed my mind, I don't want to take up smoking but thank you for finding those, it's just cool to know they exist." They said no problem and have a nice day and I went on to the next scene.

What did that dream mean? I took it to mean that realizing your dreams is easy, or easier than I have been led to believe. I asked and they found what I needed. I also took it to mean I crave ritual and community. Smoking can lead to instant interaction: "do you have a light?" People smoke together. There is the holy peace pipe. And of course the ancient fire rituals. I enjoy seeing my friends roll cigarettes, I like the ritual though I ain't gonna lie: I hate seeing my friends smoke.

Lately I've been craving being in a horn section in a great band. There is nothing quite as fun foe me, especially if it's New Orleans based and bluesy. I'm not a great blues player on sax and I want to be better. I can practice a bunch of licks but nothing beats just playing with a great act.

Today I fixed my friend Jaleels guitar and he invited me to sit in with The Reverend Vince for their New Years gig at Union Pool. I jumped on that chance right away. Turns out they didn't have a sax player tonight so the brass really appreciated me being there. Brass player work hard! Any sound where they get to back off a bit and relax is good for the chops. I've worked with Smoota before doing a tech gig. He plays a mean bone. The trumpet player whose name escapes me is just a slayer on that little horn. I felt so grateful for being able to do this job!

So yeah, I asked for this and then just like that I received this great opportunity. It went really well, everyone seemed happy. I sure hope I get asked back soon! I need gigs like this one! More more more!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment