Thursday, January 1, 2015

1/1/15 Blues is harder than jazz to play....

Been working on my blues playing, sax wise. Easy for me on guitar, very easy. It's what I came up with. I'd say Jazz is harder on guitar, but if I be honest, nothing is really hard, it's just when something is new to me....

My 2 biggest inspirations for sax these days are Maxwell Davis:


Here's a bit of him playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1GxPi_zlk

That is a tenor sound! Big and fat. He played on a Buescher like me. Yeah, the notes in this song aren't so hard, but it's really about the attitude and of course, rhythm. Blues on the horn? You don't really have the option of playing anything that doesn't sound good. Jazz you can get away with so much more. There's just no room for error in this style. It's immediate.

Even Coltrane played squeaking, honking, nasty bar blues early in his career. I think that is why I can relate so much to his playing even at the end of his life. He mastered efficiency and immediacy. That may be the hardest thing to master in music, clear strong statements and not wasting energy. Jeez, that's the hardest thing in communication period!

2nd is my biggest hero is Lester Young:


Yeah, efficient. Beautiful sound, beautiful ideas. I just read how he upset many players of his time cause he didn't play things that were complicated harmonically. Yet, nobody could do what he did. I heard he was a great dancer. That's obvious when I hear him play. A great dancer is....light.
Here's a bit of solo I'm lifting ideas from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmAIuoIw2g

And a bit of transcription (done by Tim Price!)

I never seem to be able to retain music from a transcription though they do help. So I'm learning this by ear.

Playing like this is a challenge. More so than more modern styles I find. Timing is everything. Less is more. Good food for thought!

Got a couple hours in on my horn tonight. Tenor will try to defeat you but tonight we got along great. That I am grateful for. Off to a good 2015.

J


No comments:

Post a Comment