Thursday, January 22, 2015

1/21/15 Gospel of Mars creating session. My soprano is back!

Got my soprano saxophone back from being repaired at KB Saxophone services in Long Island City. Those of you who don't know Kim, he runs a world class out fit.

http://www.kbsax.com/

Aaron and I had a session tonight that we kept nice and minimal. I played my soprano only tonight. Good to play something different. Soprano kinda forces me to take a different approach all together. Mine is quiet powerful, an old Martin from the 1920's. When I bought it 15 years ago it outdid many other horns costing far more. But what I like the most about it is I can not for the life of me get that saccharine smooth jazz sound out of it. I'm sure a better horn player than I can do that but the other horns I played at the time, they seemed to love that more than they loved my concept. I get a really big and clear tone from this horn, very eastern. May be the best five hundred Washingtons I've ever spent.

I tend to play less notes on the soprano and it's easier for me to get inside the feelings I am working with. Tonight I worked with some 4 note scales. That kind of simplicity makes better music for me at times. Music thrives in constraints for me, and almost always dies in freedom. I like boundaries. They force me to explore rhythm deeper than me using all 12 notes.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment