Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"What's the most people you've ever played in front of?" Questions kids ask....

  I had a student the other day, maybe 9 years old ask me "What's the most people you've ever played in front of?"

  I answered 3000 at Carnegie Hall. " Whoah!! Were you scared?"

  No, actually it's one of the most normal feeling moments of my life, kinda like if I was a banker and I got a job for a day at some big bank. Like, this is what I'm just supposed to do with my life.

  "What's the most scared you've been playing for people?"

  Hmm. That would be for an audience of 1, specifically my grandmother. When I was 15 she used to ask me to play guitar for her. She would read the paper while I would run through a few songs I knew. Then she would look up and say "Oh, have you started yet?"

  Brutal.....

  I love teaching kids cause they ask such great questions. Stuff I haven't thought about in a long time.

  "What's the fastest you can play?" Oh, I don't know. You've heard of Eric Clapton? "Yeah." How about Chris Impellitteri? "Who's that?" Exactly kid....speed kills. Now write me a good song.

J1

No comments:

Post a Comment