Sunday, November 23, 2014

11/22/14, what did I do today?

Well, peoples, places and things.... But sometimes distraction is good. Went to see my friends play last night, they have a duo called Hungry Ghost. I can watch Sara Lund drum for the rest of my life. She's that good and I miss jamming with her. Super inspiring. And Andrew has come a long way. I really dig his playing and his sense of tone. Of course, I built his amp. Good to hear that thing, so rich and colorful! So I came away inspired and though I got no writing done I did get a lift!

Practiced my horn for 2 1/2 hours last night afterward. Working on my new mouthpiece which I dig. It's powerful. Any change like that requires weeks of getting used to it. So I worked long tones and scales, articulation then just improvised for an hour or so. Feels good.

Taught 3 students yesterday. 2 of them I taught the song "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra. What was good about that was I didn't write anything down, just showed them and within a brief period of time they got it sounding good. That's the power of not having the thing written before you. It gets in you quicker. That's why I'v always had a hard time playing from transcriptions. I can't remember things too well and even after playing them a million times, the muscle memory doesn't even make it music. But if I catch a lick by ear or see someone play something...yeah, it's music almost right away.

So I got to have an instrument in my hands for almost 7 hours yesterday. That's a good thing. That's how I like to role! 40+ hours a week on music, something will happen.

J1

No comments:

Post a Comment