Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Buffet tenor saxophone mouthpiece....

As a saxophonist I still haven't found that majic mouthpiece. This madness can go on for years. I met a fellow recently who has the dream setup: a Selmer Super Balanced Action tenor in that Coltrane serial range with his $1200 Slant Signature Otto Link piece worked on by one of those famous re-facers. He was complaining about the piece being too this or that, I don't remember. He just had it re-worked and wasn't happy. Yikes. His mouthpiece cost more than my horn....and he's still not happy. I wonder what that is really all about?

I recently picked up a Buffet C2 tenor sax mouthpiece on the cheap to flip like a burger on Ebay. The auction had no description and poor photos but did say good condition so I took the gamble and won. I've had a couple of these before and I've always been able to sell them for a decent amount.

Trouble is, this is a great piece. You see them marketed as "classical" or "legit music" (what does that mean???) pieces but this piece really is great for jazz as well.

What do I like about it? First and foremost is the sound. Really is a happy place between a good Otto Link and a Selmer Soloist. More focused than a Link with that nice 'quack' on the attack that I like from a Soloist. It's dark and even, gives up the 'toasted baguette' thing I like: solid and hearty with a warm crispy exterior. It's got loads of harmonics but is also so clear in the center. Great depth.

It's easy to play, altissimo pops easily, subtone is lovely. It really likes double embouchure. I get not just a 'big' sound but the right kind of big sound. Big and muscular, not too many doughnuts big. Plenty of power despite the small tip opening.

And.....just like a beautiful sounding but quiet Selmer Airflow I played last month (Priced at $500 New Yorker dollars!) it is the most in tune piece I've ever played. This will save me and whatever producer I'm working with time on any intonation issues I may have.

I have 3 pieces right now, this one, an 80's rubber Link that I always seem to come back to and a James Bunte 42 piece which is more on the brighter more rock side of the spectrum. I'll play this Buffet a bunch and won't be surprised if I go back to my crappy Link in a month but for now I say give one of these a try. There are plenty of great options out there that don't cost Otto Link or Selmer prices. Heck, I had an old French made Bundy that knocked out some thousand dollar pieces! Experiment! Have fun and make the best music you can!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Coilhead
    Thanks for flipping this burger on to me. Going to be tasty on my Buffet SDA !

    ReplyDelete