Friday, April 17, 2020

What have I been doing for the past year?

It's been over a year since I last wrote here, and now that the world has stopped I have time to reflect and share again.

Over the last 4-5 years I've had a return to my roots. As a teenager I studied a bit of classical guitar and really loved it. I especially loved the weaving of 2 melodies together in counterpoint. I studied with a good local teacher named Bruce Casteel in Columbia Maryland. He had some great classical students, some who went on to prestigious conservatories, then he had fellows like me. I don't think he saw me as particularly disciplined, and he was probably right, so he never put me on a method book or anything like that. And truth be told I would probably have fled if he did. Being a young, frightened, egotistical teenager I was 'better than everyone' while at the same time was 'the bottom of the worst.' Neither of which was true but that's what a good dose of fear does to the mind.

Bruce had a house full of fine classical guitars. Ramirez, Dauphin, Marzal and some ones I don't remember. They were expensive. Minimum $2000 in the 80's. A vintage Stratocaster was about five hundred bucks and I was a Jimi head. So, I'll let you figure out what I decided.

But Bruce put up with me. He had a wild side too and taught me how to improvise. Scales, modes etc. My brother and I would make up songs in whatever mode was presented just to learn the mode and not be bored playing the 'blues box.'

I also got into composing. I wrote 2 or 3 pieces and figured I'm no Bach so I gave it up. Much like I did with drawing and writing stories. I was so hard on myself then. In fact if playing blues rock, psychedelic music didn't come relatively easy to me I may not have pursued music at all and I wouldn't be writing this blog post.

So fast forward. Not writing my biography today here....

After years of playing in bands and having limited success, a good personal economic meltdown in 2010 which led me to re-examine every choice in my life, I found a Carcassi guitar method book at Sam Ash on 34th street. I had glued my moms busted Silvertone "Classic Folk" guitar back together and found myself just doing the exercises in there daily with the same energy as when I was a teenager. See, I used to practice my scales hours daily. It was obsession. I was waaaaay too lazy to play video games, too much work, but practicing scales and songs, that was just fun for me.

So I started learning pieces out of that Carcassi book. The Stratocaster doesn't really interest me any more so I started seeking out good guitars which I find to be completely fascinating. The Torres design, the Hauser spin on it and all that followed. In short I fell in love with making music again. I fell in love with the instrument again.And I've fallen in love with composing again except this time I don't really care if my pieces are genius or even any good at all. I just enjoy writing and  enjoy practicing.

When I hit that 'self taught' wall I found a great teacher for me on Craigslist named Carlos Pavan. So happens he's a composer so I see him weekly to discuss and perform my new works with him. It's so worth it to invest in oneself and I'm so grateful he's around.

So for the last year I've been working on my second solo LP. I was hoping to record it this summer and have it out in the fall but the world is on pause today so I have no idea what to do. I am taking advantage of this time to make my compositions better, challenge myself and practice. I'm taking the gentle approach, no hard deadlines, little self criticism, and a lot of help and support from loved ones.

When it will be ready I have no idea. There may not even be a vinyl record maker left standing when we get through this sad and brutal time. Right now it's just about one day at a time and love thy neighbor. That's enough for me. But stay posted, I'll be here writing music and pages like this.

Take care everyone. Let's ride this out and re-build when we can.

-J

Photo: Matt Licari
Guitar: John Vergara

No comments:

Post a Comment