Saturday, April 18, 2020

Okay, ain't gonna lie, I'm shallow! And furious about Mozart in the Jungle being cancelled.

I don't have Amazon Prime and have no intentions around signing up. But I came awfully close when I found "Mozart in the Jungle" one day while cat sitting in Park Slope.

Ain't gonna lie here. That comedy may have changed my life. It's portrayal of an orchestra, it's players and the occasional guest like Joshua Bell and many New York players from the street to the stage, for a musician in mid life was a breath of fresh air!

By the time I was through season 1 I was back on a better practicing routine and writing more. I got to ask what do I want to leave behind when I'm done with this life? Anyone who plays in an orchestra has worked hard to get there and I love a hard worker.

Funny how that can come from a goofball comedy show about sex, drugs and classical music but whatever, it doesn't matter what can be a life changing inspiration. And ya know what? I can say I'm happier now with my path. Will I ever get to the promised land through writing music and performing it? I don't really care. I'm digging this journey, meeting new people making compelling art and challenging myself in new ways.

Ya, I kinda needed that show to push me over the cliff. So thank you Amazon for airing it. And %^%@ you for cancelling!


It's funny. I'm reminded of David Sanborns' "Night Music" which aired in the late 1980's. I religiously watched that show every Sunday night. That's where I met Sun Ra, Lounge Lizards, Sonic Youth, Charlie Haden's orchestra and many other artist. And much like any good shows about music, poof! Gone!!! That show did the same for me, inspired me to do something else. The messenger comes in many forms.

J 4/18/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment