Sunday, June 14, 2015

I forgot I was a musician for a moment, and it was really good.

  Things have been tough recently. New York can be really lonely at times despite the sheer amount of human energy. My debit card was compromised for the 2nd time in a month, I've had all kinds of doubts about my abilities as a musician and generally been asking what am I doing? What is this all for?

  I went to Prospect Park, beautiful place but full of families. Not really a single guy spot where I need inspiration. Sure, I'd like a family and all that but I still need my dose of chaos. That's what Washington Square Park is for.

 I enter on the northwest side and immediately I'm met with a good old sketchy dude trying to sell me weed. Ah....this is more like it. I love saying no to those cats. It's funny and they are always there. The park is alive with music and dance. I hear a joyful noise from across the way so I follow it. Sounds like a jazz band but playing music I truly enjoy, good southern greasy New Orleans jazz.

  I sit down and take it in. This band is celebrating 16 years of playing in the park every weekend. My feet are tapping, an old man is tap dancing, people are smiling and for a few minutes not only did I forget all my petty little 20th century prosperous country problems, I forgot I was a music maker. Their sound filled my heart. I didn't finger saxophone notes compulsively and try to 'figure out' what the tenor man was doing. I became the music. That's rare. Especially with jazz today though they were playing jass.

  I had my guitar with me. My intent was to play in the park. Instruments attract musicians. A guy sat down next to me. Ruh Roh........

  "Hey did you notice that there was something out of tune during the head?" this guy ask. "What?" I ask. "Did you notice they had some intonation problems when they were all playing together?"
"Um, it's jazz." I replied. "Well I just wanted to hear it be more in tune" he says. "Um, they sound like they are having a blast up there, that's all that matters to me bro".

  He tried to carry on a conversation but I hit the ignore button. Gave the band a nice tip when the hat man came around and my new friend left.

  Then, all I could notice was how out of tune they were. Especially the guy playing a trumpet and flugelhorn, AT THE SAME TIME! I just kept noticing the pitch issues again and again, then saying "but how the $#&@ does that man play 2 brass instruments at once, that's amazing! And my fingers try to compulsively figure out what the tenor player is doing.

  So to you musicianers out there. If you see a man sitting in the park smiling on a sunny day tapping his feet to some happy music and he has a guitar or sax or piano or freaky hair, and you feel like you need to share some negative perfectionist thoughts with him and think that maybe you'll make a new ally by co-bashing the band in front of you, please shut up. Don't say a word. I will slap you. Hard. You won't like it but some day you will understand and maybe even be grateful. Leave a smiling man or woman alone unless you have something positive to say! You didn't ruin my day, you didn't ruin my life, but you messed up a moment that I needed. I hope that some other day I forget I make music and lose that division. That was one great feeling and I am grateful to have had it.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment