Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Praise for Sakshama Koloski!

I've been working hard, teaching, playing, getting better on my horn by practicing for long stretches. It's important to reward oneself to keep going. To remind myself of the progress I have made. Gifts to oneself are mighty motivating.

Sakshama Koloski is a cat that lives up in Queens who makes terriffic playing mouthpieces. I first met him 2 years ago when he made his own version of the fabled "Double Line" Otto Link, the ones that people for some reason pay up to $1800 for. I had to try that one. But really I was mostly interested in his Dukoff "Shorty". Most players play on Otto Links, few have the great Dukoff Hollywood pieces and I'm one of those guys who likes something different. Me and this other horn player (much better than I! He plays with Sting.) were trying pieces out together. We both tried his Link and compared it to the original he copied. We both agreed his version was simply better, much better. But it wasn't for me. He had a "Shorty" piece that was already sold and I put that one up. The other player immediately said "now that is a great sound!" I agreed. I kept coming back to it.

But it took me 2 years to commit to buying one. I get bored easily and move on from one thing to the next, that fear of commitment thing. Not good for a musician! I'm much better than I was! Keeping a practice log helps tremendously.

So I finally contacted him a few weeks ago and asked if he had one and told him I am interested in one with a 6* opening. That was in March. Within a month he built the perfect piece for me. I just got home from practicing and I did not want to stop! The more I played the more I found my center and even with an easy tip opening like this one has, the tone can be huge. I can get that gut bucket sound or a really pretty wooden flute sound on command. My subtone has never been better. And it's flexible. It forces me to relax my body if I want to get the sound I hear in my head. I like that. A tool that commands me to chill out and enjoy the music!

So check him out! Well worth the investment!

http://sakshamamouthpieces.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment