Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Faith

About 2 weeks ago I decided after a rather painful conversation to stop taking gigs as an unpaid hired gun. My biggest anxiety is that myth saying "you won't play if you decide to stop playing for free!" That's a lonely way to be.

But what's so awful about being alone? Really.

The morning after I got offered 2 gigs. The last question I asked about 6 hours later was do these gigs pay. The response was 'sure, whatever, it's rock, we split the door that's how it works.'

Really? Is that how some of my friends have swimming pools and NO DAY JOB?

I don't buy this logic. I think it's the death of us. I've been saying this for 25 years now and things still haven't panned out.

So I asked for some money and got turned down humanely. Dude just couldn't do it. Cool. You know what? I need the time to focus on Gospel of Mars and my solo record. I don't need to go to rehearsal and get resentful for no money.

Next day got asked to do another. I said no. No pay, no play. And the following day, same thing. Kinda painful, lonely and that feeling of 'I'm being a dick, how dare I ask these underpaid artist to get paid???? WHO THE HELL DO I THINK I AM?????"

Well, lets see. The sound man gets paid well. The video maker, the producer, the stylist. Everyone gets paid except for the actual people making the music. What's wrong here?

Well, the sound man ask for money, the producer ask for her needs to be met, so does the stylist, so does the video maker.

There's this narcissist in me that wants to be approved, loved perhaps. That's the part that always gets me in trouble. As a hired professional I'm not being paid to be loved, I'm being paid to leave after giving a night or 2 of great service. I don't need to make the boundaries unclear with insecurity and approval seeking. The actual me needs support, financial support. It's that simple. I love to work, I love to give service, I love getting paid. If you need my opinion I'm wearing a producer hat. Pay me for that and I'll be of great help.

I met a producer in Los Angeles once on a benefit job. He told me something I'll never forget. He said he gets asked daily by artist to review their demo and give some pointers. He replies "sure, would love to listen! My rate is $1000 an hour." People usually scoff. He said "So if I give this guy advice and they follow it and they make a hit and earn 10 million bucks do you think they'll remember to pay me anything?" Point taken. This man values his TIME. I dig it baby.

My life is rich and busy. I'm not getting any younger. I need the time to focus on the music I'm making every day now. I like doing support gigs, I actually just can't give away my time for free any longer.

So why is this post called faith? 3 days ago I got offered $100 to play some acoustic music for an hour at a wedding. I've been told that by saying no to unpaid opportunities I say yes to those that do pay. Self love pays. $100 to show up for 1 hour, play some music and leave. That's faith at work. An affirmation to a new way.  I can do this, I am worth it. We can do this. We are worth it.

Love, JB

No comments:

Post a Comment