Friday, November 10, 2017

Tatay #2! Cheap classical guitars.




Just got this one in the mail, another Tatay no. 13.

Outside of the cosmetics it is nothing at all like my #1. Completely different sound. A remarkably nice sound for sure, lots of bass. I set it up with LaBella hard tension strings. My other one ha medium hard. I think those suit these guitars a bit better.

I read one Tatay fan say the tone color is "Orange". That's the color that comes to mind on this one.

My other one, I have no idea of the era it was built in. I believe it to be much older. This one has a slimmer more comfortable neck whereas my #1 us bigger and I'd say while it's comfortable it's more 'crude'. But that being said, everything about the construction of this guitar is more 'crude'!

My #1 sports some nice rosewood back and sides (I don't know if it's Brazilian, it's definitely rosewood) whereas this one is Mahogany.

This is now my throw it in the gig bag and schlep it to lessons guitar. I like it. Still more inspiring to me than any guitar made now in a similar price bracket. My Favilla is going to a friend, glad to send it to him.

There is little information about this brand, would love to know more. Supposedly the earlier ones were luthier built. My #1 feels and appears to have a lot more attention dedicated to making it. This one seems not too different than other factory made Spanish guitars I've played. Better than many of them but definitely not a "serious" guitar.

Still, worth every penny I paid for it. It does sound quite nice and projects the way I like it to!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment