Sunday, March 23, 2014

Practice log, more benefits!

Just wanted to share one of the benefits of keeping a practice log. Write what you worked on, what you are struggling with, how you felt about your session and most importantly, what went well.

Tonight for example I was struggling with my upper register. I played a fellows Mk6 tenor the other night and got Selmer lust going. There is just something so likable about the upper register of those horns, this wailing quality, almost an 'E' vowel. My old horn likes a more 'ooh' sound. So I shaped my mouth like I would say 'E' and that's what came out the horn. I can pretty much get whatever I want out  of my instrument and this helps me to stay out of that old equipment distraction. I also pulled out a Rovner ligature I have that I forget about. The response got quicker, altissimo easier, sound got darker and richer all in a matter of seconds. This is the kind of stuff I forget. Without writing this stuff down I'm likely to find a $1000 solution to a $2 problem.

I also keep a brief journal about my writing sessions and let someone know. Keeps me motivated and accountable, like taking lessons. I can fool myself into teaching myself but without another human being that I show up to every other week, I'm not likely to do the work. As a result of that kind of rapport, my playing is growing leaps and bounds.

Being an organized musician! It is possible!!!!

with love, JB

No comments:

Post a Comment