Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's getting hard to earn in music these days with (fill in the blank)

 I often hear "it's hard these days" when it comes to making money in music, selling product etc. I don't know about this. I think it's noisier today with all the internet stuff and digital downloads, yes, but the life for musicians has never been easy. 100 years ago Jelly Roll Morton went from purely live performances to making piano rolls to 78s just to keep food on the table. He adapted. It wasn't easy. Eventually only his negativity destroyed him. 300 years ago musicians were the lowest of the low, that isn't the case anymore but I think we still believe that in ourselves down deep. It isn't at all true, never was.

All we really can do is make the best music we can and be creative about getting it out there. One of my dear friends has made a million a year scoring films. We both dropped out of college at the same time. What is his secret? He goes to parties. shakes hands and makes connections. It's that willingness to do so. You can be Beethoven with a Reverbnation page, a myspace, facebook, soundcloud, a bandcamp, but if you aren't willing to show up and meet and greet, nothing will happen.

I've never gotten a job with a resume. All this social media, they are like resumes. Kinda lazy. They get thrown in a pile and forgotten. Every job or gig I've gotten has been through walking into a place and saying: Hey, my name is ______, and I'm your new guy, here's my music.

The music business has always been in a state of change since day 1. The only constant is making an actual impression.


JB

No comments:

Post a Comment