Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Decisions, decisions....Too many instruments....




So my last blog post was about 3 tenors I have. Pondering which to keep (Buescher is a no brainer, on the fence about the other 2).  There's so many factors when trying a new instrument. All 3 of these horns have such great attributes.

It comes down to a few simple things: Am I having fun with this instrument? How do I sound?


The fun factor is more obvious and to me, more important. I need a horn or guitar that allows me to express myself but also forbids me from taking myself too seriously. Modern saxes feel like machines. A good old sax like a Conn or Buescher feels like a toy. I play with toys. I'm about 10 years old when I play music, those notes become the world.

The sound factor is more deceptive. I spent the whole week playing my 10M. Mmmmm, that is a beautiful sound. Got good time in practicing my scales, long tones and just the joy of playing a lot of old tunes and my own material. That's the stop! The 10M is the best horn ever for me......

Then the band had rehearsal. I miss my crappy Buescher. That horn has a presence to it that is simply the best. I know the 10m sounds great, and I sound good on it, but from behind the horn it's harder to hear. In most situations like with my own group, the Buescher is just perfect. I get a sense of the note. I don't feel lost. That's not to say it's Buescher in general, I've owned Aristocrats that didn't do this. I just happen to have one that may be particularly good. I get more compliments on my sound on the Buescher as well. Not the reason to play it but it's nice to get props from your audience and fellow musicians.

So while the Buescher has the most primitive keys I'll gladly continue to suffer a bit. The 10M is the fastest of the 3....

But, on the mic, in a horn section, the 10M is it for me. I love the way it blends and being it's a really dark horn it's not possible for the sound person to make me sound like Brecker or Pickett, not that there's anything wrong with those sounds, it's just not me. And playing through a pa can be frustrating. The 10M goes through wires and transistors and digital shit delays and pops through the monitor sounding focused and big, still warm. It has it's role, maybe just not with my band.

The Buffet is interesting. Every time I pick it up I'm floored at first. It's so fast, responsive and has a great sound. I haven't used it live yet so I don't know whats up.

But here is the simple test. There is a little sax solo I learned early on from Ethiopiques Vol 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MX4KjBEn_4

I love this solo. It's brief and beautiful and it's one of the reasons I play the horn. It's the sound I always go for. Oh, I never get there but it's my model.

I play it on one horn and go "Ah......." On another I go "Hmmmmmm". The latter goes back in the case.

The latter will probably go on the auction block. It becomes easy to decide. I think it's less than 20 notes! The simple things!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment