Thursday, January 23, 2014

Teaching and taking lessons

It's been an educational week for me. Took a saxophone lesson with Tim Price that rocked. Nothing like sitting down with someone who has been at it for way longer than you and just helping you remember the things you forget. Air column, air column, air column! Every lesson I've ever had I needed to be reminded of that simple thing that isn't so simple. Yet in one little demonstration I was able to produce a sound much stronger than I thought my equipment would actually allow. Now I'm inspired to practice daily, keep a practice log of what I'm doing so I can track my progress and am psyched to meet up again next week. I feel another door being opened up! Feels great to work on some foundational "Mr. Miyagi" material again. The simple little things that add up.

3 days later I got to share the same scale information with a student. My students teach me as much as I teach them. It's a new world from where I started. There is no better way of staying current than teaching people 1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 my age, seeing the world through the eyes of younger folks.

One of the greatest things I learned this week was working my scales in 3rds and 4ths. It wasn't the scales, it was the speed. SLOW DOWN! Go with your natural heart rhythm. 60BPM, quarter notes for AS LONG AS YOU NEED TO. Metronomes are great but can bring out the perfectionist in us. I don't reccomend you get too mechanical with that little box. I did like to be reminded of how to practice scales at a turtle pace. 2 days of that I could feel my ideas being liberated at band practice just a little bit more effortlessly. In a month, a year? Who knows. That's really the point. It's about building confidence. Wax on, wax off. Thank you Karate Kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment